Thursday, March 8, 2007

SDE BOKER: Arrival

Last weekend (March 2rd to the 4th), I took a bus to the south of Israel to see my friends Yaakov and Safa’a who now live in the small academic community of Sde Boker in the Negev. I interned with Yaakov two summers ago in Jerusalem and he is heavily involved in my current project, which evolved out of that earlier work.

After I arrived, Yaakov showed me this beautiful view of the desert from campus.





Yes, I'm sure every visitor has a picture just like this. That is indeed the moon.





Later, we sat down to the fantastic meal that Safa’a had prepared. Apparently, Yaakov told her that I love to eat. So, she made a number of dishes containing rich meats. Then, he informed her that I do not eat meat. So, she basically prepared two complete dinners. We were all very full in the end.

3 comments:

Lady Living Well said...

So glad that it's not all work and no play for you, David! Original or not, that pic of you with the moon is fantastic.

I'm curious about the meat dishes - was there a predominant one - beef, chicken? Also, are is it typical for all of the dishes in a meal to contain meat, or was that particular meal more of a response to hearing about your hollow leg and hoping to fill it to your satisfaction?

David Epstein said...

I honestly did not pay that much attention to the meat dishes. I think it is common in many parts of the world for a meal on a special occasion to contain meat because it is more expensive than a vegetarian meal.

ADRIANA said...

Hy!!

do you remember me??

how are you??

this is Adriana from Puebla, mexico