Friday, January 26, 2007

FRANKFURT --> BERLIN: Train Ride

I left Boston on Monday January 8th in the afternoon and arrived exhausted in Frankfurt on Tuesday morning at 5:30am. I just cannot seem to find a good position for sleeping on airplanes.

The airport luggage facility stored my two heavy suitcases for about 7 euros a day. Soon I was on a comfortable, quiet, and fast ICE train to Berlin with just a backpack. Everytime I looked out the window, the view was beautiful, despite the miserable gray day. However, I kept falling asleep and only manageed to snap a few pictures. Here is the rolling green countryside, carefully manicured, under a cloudy sky.


This photgraph shows a small town (a village? a hamlet?) under the same cloud-filled sky.
In the distance stand several wind-driven generators (you may need to click on the picture to see them).

I was generally impressed with the energy technologies in Germany during my short visit. Besides alternative power generation methods like this one, clear steps were taken to reduce unnecessary usage. For example, the escalators in the stations and malls stayed off unless triggered on via a motion detector.

No comments: